English – 90 minutes (Zoom at 11 o’clock)
Look carefully at the picture below. Where is this? What do you think is happening? What do you notice?
Here is the text that goes with this picture. Read it carefully.
Here is some vocabulary for you from the text:
hearty – loud and cheerful.
railway warrant – a free voucher given for travel.
barracks – a group of buildings used to house soldiers.
Reading task – Answer the following questions:
- “They had never seen such a crowd.” What does this suggest about the four boys?
- What effect did the flags and band have on the occasion.
- What did the crowd do every time a lad went to join up?
- Which of the four boys went to join up first?
- Which boy was last to go and join up?
- What were the boys given when they signed up?
- “They had a lot of explaining to do when they got home that evening.” Why?
Grammar task – Here are 6 words from the text. 2 are nouns, 2 are verbs and 2 are adjectives. Can you work out which word belongs to which word class?
Writing Task – Will decides to write a letter to his parents explaining his decision to join the army. Can you write his letter? You might want to think about:
- Why have you decided to join the army?
- Do you have any doubts about signing up to the army?
- How do you feel about going to war? Do you understand what war is?
- What can you say to your parents to reassure them? (How can you make them feel better?)
- Why are the four of you going together?
- What are you looking forward to once it is all over?
- You could start:
Dear My Loving Mum and Dad,
I have something of huge importance to tell you.
8. You could end your letter:
From your loving son Will.
You should be able to write at least 100 words.
Maths- 75 minutes
Let’s continue our work on area- a 2d measurement of the surface or side of a shape
Here’s the video link
And here’s the link for the worksheet
Science- 90 minutes- Zoom at 2.00
If you join the zoom- you don’t need to look at the powerpoint
But you might need-
an empty bottle, a sock (preferable a clean one), some pebbles or stones, a piece of kitchen towel, some muddy water ready for after the lesson.
If you miss the zoom the powerpoint and your activity are below.
Warm up- I accidentally spilt some marbles and paperclips into my porridge. How can I separate the 3 materials without touching any of them?
Now work through the powerpoint.
You have been stranded on a desert island. You managed to put an empty bottle, a pair of clean sock and a roll of kitchen towel off your boat before it sank. There are also pebbles around the beach and several trees. Now you need to sort out a safe source of drinking water.
On the island there is a small stream, but it is muddy and it doesn’t look too safe.
Design (and test) a method of filtering your water to clean out as much of the mud as possible to make it safe to drink.
What else could you do to improve the cleanliness of the water?
Spanish- 30 minutes
Today let’s talk about the weather.
Work through the website and try the quiz
Can you translate my sentence? I’ve used the word hoy, which means today.
Me gusto mucho Verano porque hace calor. Pero hoy hace fresco.
Tell me something about the weather in Spanish.
It is World book day on Thursday. The author David Walliams has done an assembly to get us ready for it!