Good morning year 5!
English – 90 minutes (Zoom at 11 o’clock)
Here is a reminder about what we know about Will so far.
We know that Will and his friends are considering joining the army. They seem to think that it will be an adventure and have heard that it might be over by Christmas. They see recruitment posters that tell people that it is their duty to sign up.
Here is the next part of the story:
Some vocabulary for you:
pulpit – a raised platform in a church from which the speaker talks.
squire – a man of high social standing who owns land in a rural area.
pew – a long bench placed in rows in a church.
tailor-made – clothes made for a particular customer.
Reading task – Answer these questions about the text:
- What day of the week is it?
- Inside which building are the boys?
- “The local squire wore all the medals he could get his hands on, and his son wore a brand-new, tailor-made officers uniform.” What effect might this have on Will and his friends?
- What did the boys do after the service?
- “Here they sat almost every day of their lives…” What does this tell you about the boys’ friendship?
- Why does Freddie want to join the army?
- What do we find out about Will’s thoughts on joining the army?
- What do the boys agree to do the next day?
Grammar task – Name the word class. Here are 6 words from the text. 2 of them are nouns, 2 are adjectives and 2 are verbs. Can you work out which word belongs to which word class?
Now make 2 lists. One list will contain the reasons why Will should join the army. The other list will contain the reasons why he shouldn’t join. You should think about all parts of the story that we have read and discussed.
Writing task – Write a letter to Will which persuades him to either join the army or not join the army. Make you reasons clear and be as persuasive as possible.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/how-to-write-a-persuasive-text/zkcfbdm – This website contains a video with tips about writing a persuasive text.
You should be able to write at least 100 words.
Maths- 75 minutes
Last week we looked at perimeter- a 1d measurement of length around the outside of a shape.
This week we are looking at area- a 2d measurement of the surface or side of a shape.
Watch the video
Here is the link for the worksheet
Geography- 60 minutes
Here is lesson 2 of our work on natural resources
Spelling (15 minutes)
Let’s continue with our work on ble and bly.
Remember ble is for adjectives and bly is for adverbs.
Find a definition for each of these words, put them into a sentence, practise spelling them.
terrible, terribly, sensible, sensibly, legible, legibly, acceptable, acceptably, suitable, suitably