English – Friday 26th February (Zoom at 11am)
Imagine that you are Will walking past this postbox.
You see this poster.
This is a recruitment poster for the army. They are also called propaganda posters.
Read it carefully. What is it persuading you to do? (There is a photo and a typed-out version which is easier to read!)
NOW TRY TO ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS ABOUT THE POSTER.
The video below contains more recruitment posters. Imagine you are Will seeing these all over the village.
How would you be feeling?
WRITING TASK – Write a diary extract as Will which shows your reaction to seeing these recruitment posters.
22 thoughts on “English – Friday 26th February (Zoom at 11am)”
1) It doesn’t persuade me
2) They are needed to overcome Germany’s army of expected 100000 men
3) Age between 19 and 30, 160cm in height, 86.4cm in chest
5) Send a letter to the adress
There is lots of persuasion! It might not persuade you but look to see how they would have persuaded others.
For number 5, men could apply by just visiting a recruitment office.
i can’t find any
2. because they want outnumber the enemies
3. Age between 19 and 30 height 5ft 3in and upwards chest 34in in at least
5. they should apply at any Military Barrack
There’s a leaflet and all you have to do is send a letter to and address obtained at post offices. I’m feeling dangered but excited at the same time. I have an adventure at my fingertips! I CAN GO TO WAR!
I CAN JOIN THE ARMY! The criterias fit me and I will have the time of my life. But one of my friends is too young to join and that is a shame. Billy. Our goalkeeper, Freddie, believes we should copy our opponents and join the army! I was always taught to never leave a man behind. If I’d go… I’d leave Billy behind and he’s one of my friends! I can’t leave the poor boy alone…
Great work Franek. You have captured Will’s excitement but also a slight tinge of doubt in his mind!
You show a sound understanding of his character and the story so far.
its trying to purswade us to join the army
1. its telling you the more people in the army the more chance they will win.
2. because the more men the esier to win.
3. you have to be older than 18, you have to be taler than 5ft and only Genral service.
5. apply to the Military Barrack
today i was walking home with my freinds and i came by a newspaper it was trying to purswade people to join the army then i thought i should go in the army like i said yesterday it would be an adventure
Were they any particular details on the poster that Will would have noticed in particular?
1 – it persuades you by saying your King and country need you, it uses the word immediately and it says that as soon as the war is over everyone can go home.
2 – so they have enough men to stop Germany
3 – between 19 and 30 years old, 5ft 3 and upwards and medically fit
4 – no
5 – apply at a military barrack, get a letter from the post office or at a recruiting office
1. The ways are that it’s talking about a king which is very important
2. So it could be more effective against the German’s
3. Age: 19-30 and Size: 5,3 inch+ and 34cm in chest
4. No, because they all will fight if the politics lie.
1.They persuade them by making them feel like they let there countrie down but if they go there’s no time to say goodbye to there family’s plus most of the men probably don’t know how to use a gun but they haft to because its now or never.
2.They need an extra 100,00 men for they aren’t going to win the Germans have more than enough men to fight but the other team don’t have much compered to the german team.
3.The men wouldn’t haft to stay in the war for in the zoom that was a word used to convince the men to go.
4.if they want to apply then they apply.
Well done Michael.
Are there any particular words or phrases that they use to persuade men to join?
Do you think it was easy for men to not apply?
Spelling – don’t forget it’s have not haft.
He might feel guilty if he dose not go but he does not know that they are making him be in the war for a lot longer then will wanted. They told him they will have a adventure but it is a kill zone for one who enters it.
I’m sure a lot of young men felt guilty and decided to join even though they weren’t sure this was the right thing to do.
Spelling – don’t forget that it’s does not dose!
1. No it doesn’t want me to join the war
2. to be extra sure they are going to win
3. A CALL TO ARMS, TERMS OF SERVICE, HOW TO JOIN
4. I don’t know it doesn’t say it in the text
5. They would straight away train and fight
Would it persuade other people though at this time?
I saw a poster today on the letterbox near the pub. It was telling men to join the war and I think it will be a good adventure so I’m thinking about joining it. It said to be aged between 19 – 30 which is good because I’m 19, and it said to be medically fit which is good because I play football three times a week. This would be great because I have wanted to play football for Great Britain but now I can fight for it. The poster said to fight for our King and country. So thats what I am going to do!
Write in you again tomorrow.
I love this Cody! Shows such a good understanding.
1. By saying it will be over soon, and that they will get payed well.
2. To stop the Germans advancing.
3. You have to be 19-30 to sign up, medically fit and be 3 inches or taller.
4. No they can quit when the war is over.
5. Just go to a recruiting office and say I want to sign up.
Today I was walking up the road but I noticed there was a lot more recruiting posters maybe the war has got more serious. Everywhere there was persuading articles it made me want to sign up more than ever. Anyway my mind was going through a lot of things like should I join or not it was a real puzzle. I will reply soon… Will.
Well done Owen
Why do you think it is a real puzzle for Will? What might be going through his mind?
You could show how the recruitment posters are persuasive and how they might be influencing Will.
Keep up the good work.
1. Encourages people
Will only need to go to war once
2. More men are needed as the war was so big
3. Aged 19-30
Height 5f 3 in
4. The men can leave after the war if they want too
5. Men should contact the recruitment office to join
On my walk home the trees began to sway as the sun was setting, i saw lots of posters regarding the war. I didn’t pay too much attention at first, but as i saw more of them i started to get intrigued. I decided to take a closer look at these posters. The posters was recruiting men to join the army to go to war. I think this is something i would like to do because i like adventures. I noticed that there was certain terms of service so can’t wait to discuss this with my parents.
Great diary entry! What do you think Will will say to his parents? Will they be happy?
You could show what the posters have written on them.
Keep up the good work.