Let’s find out about some of the background to life for Will and his friends.
To help you understand the text, have a go at answering the following questions:
- What was special about the summer of 1914?
- Where do Will and his friends work in the summer?
- How does the text suggest that World War One started?
- “So once again the British Army has to go overseas and sort things out,” said the old men of the village. What did they mean by this?
- Why did the British Army need thousands of men?
- The newspaper called on every man to do his duty “for King and Country”. What does this mean?
- Why was there pressure on young men to join the Army? Give 2 reasons.
Here is some important information about diary writing.
Find out about the main features of diaries and then look at the diary entry at the end.
Which features have been used well and where could it be improved?
THEN, use this list of features to develop the entries from Will’s diary that you have written earlier this week.