Hello Year 5 – are you ready for another busy week of learning?
Summer Reading Challenge
Did you all read the post from Miss Kinsella last week about the Summer Reading Challenge?
I also asked you last Tuesday to log on and go onto ‘Book Sorter’ and check the recommendations. I Asked you to tell me what books you’d like to read next. Blog and let me know.
Miss Kinsella also gave you lots of ideas about where you can access reading online. Look at her ideas and also check out ‘Find a Read’ on the Summer Reading Challenge site. Let me know any reading that you are doing at home. The link to the site is:
ICT discussion point – Online Safety
Discuss the following scenario with an adult at home:
These are our spelling words this week:
competition, pronunciation, explanation, mention, position, question, decision, profession, possession, optician, physician.
Can you tell me what the spelling pattern is this week? What do you notice? Can you think of any other words with the same spelling pattern in them?
Practise the words 3 times and put them into a sentence to show that you know their meaning and how to use the words accurately. Make your sentences varied and interesting – funny is always good!
Read the following and answer the questions:
- How many children did Roald’s parents have?
- What did Roald’s father die of?
- Why do you think that his mother named her second daughter Asta?
- How many boarding school did Roald attend?
- Did he enjoy boarding school?
- What gave Roald the inspiration to write ‘Charlie and the Chocolate factory’?
- What were Roald’s ambition after leaving school?
- How did Roald end up in a hospital in Egypt?
- Why did he return to England?
- What caused Roald to return to hospital?
Answer the following chocolate related word problems:
Try to answer as many as you can. As you blog your answers, could you number each question, working horizontally across the top row and then along the bottom. This makes marking easier!
I’d like you to design a wrapper for a new chocolate bar.
Here are some examples to make you think:
Have you noticed how many of them have a name that refers to the planets/galaxy? My favourite is Starbar!
You’ll need to think about the following:
- A name for the bar
- Colours to use for wrapper/writing
- A slogan to help sell it (Eg. A Mars a day helps you work, rest and play)
- What other information will you include ? Ingredients, healthy information etc.
- You’ll need to think about both sides of the wrapper
- How will you make the wrapper look attractive – what will make people take it from the shelves and buy it?
If you have any chocolate bar wrappers at home, look at them for inspiration.
Have fun today!
Mrs Millard and Mrs Munro XX