Five more school days and the countdown is on until we see your smiley faces again and we are all back together. We cannot wait! Keep up the great work Year 3. Monday 1 English/ Reading:
Read the text below and then answer the questions in full sentences, where necessary.
Tranio was the son of Dion, the actor and lived with his parents near the Theatre District of Pompeii. He’d often sneak to the glimmering harbour at the mouth of the River Sarnus and hide behind the sacks of grain. It was peaceful there and it gave him time to think. He would reflect on his day, how he was feeling and what he hoped for the future. He could also catch a glimpse and keep an eye on the gentle protector. It made him feel safe, this gave him great comfort. There he would pass the time of day just watching pots of wine, oil and spices being carried to and from the ships, or fisherman uploading their rich catches.
District – area/ place
harbour – a place where boats stay when they need shelter, when they are collecting or delivery things.
reflect – time to think
glimpse – see something quickly
comfort – makes someone feel safe.
- Who was Tranio’s father?
- Which word has similar meaning to sneak: hide, creep, listen – circle one of these words.
- What did he spend most of his day doing?
- What do you think made Tranio feel peaceful by the harbour?
- ‘Rich catches’ What do you think the fisherman have caught?
Using the picture, imagine you are Tranio. We wonder what he might be thinking, feeling or wishing for.
We would like you to:
- write in three thought bubbles – what Tranio might be thinking – try and write one of his thought bubbles as a question.
- write inside three shapes of hearts – what Tranio is feeling and use because to explain why he might be feeling like that.
- write inside three shapes of stars – what Tranio might wish for.
Please write in full sentences and remember to write in first person (me, my, I) as if you are Tranio.
You could use this sheet to help you:
Activity 1: Watch the short video clip Episode 1: Block(e Him Right Good, Alfie with your child.
Now chat with an adult/ older brother or sister
- What did you think?
- What did you like about Play Like Share?
- What different things do Sam, Ellie and Alfie do online?
- How did the gamer make Alfie feel?
- What did Alfie do when he realised something wasn’t right?
- What happened when Selfie’s video was made public? How did it make them feel?
You can just discuss these with an adult/ older brother or sister rather than write them down.
Activity 2: Design a poster for Selfie
Create a poster for Sam, El
lie and Alfie’s new band Selfie. Try and show the talents and the positive personalities for each of the characters (For example: responsible, sensible, thoughtful) We’d love to see examples of posters! Please send pictures to our email address.
This week we are learning all about volcanos, watch the PowerPoint and have a go at making your own volcano fact file.
Story time: https://youtu.be/Z3HxJ7No1WM