Your text this week is an extract from the brilliant Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Magorian.
Read it carefully and then answer the questions below. Good luck!
- Why doesn’t the author use Standard English for Tom’s speech?
- How do you think the Billeting Officer feels when she is talking to Tom? Explain your answer.
- Write down a word that the author could have used instead of “bewildered” in line 16.
- What effect does the line “One tiny dark-haired girl in the front was hanging firmly on to a new teddy-bear (lines 16 and 17)?
- Does Tom have to take in an evacuee? Explain your answer.
- Give one reason why the author might have chosen to include a lot of direct speech in this text.
- Do you think that Tom and the boy will get on? Explain your answer.