Good morning Year 4,
Today we are going to plan how to write an art critique for the painting below. The painting is called ‘Men of the Docks.’ We did start looking at this when we were in school so you should have some idea. You can either handwrite and send a photo to our email or comment using the headings. You are only writing notes in response to the questions. Using headings to organise your notes/ plan.
STEP 1: DESCRIBE
List everything you see, even if you don’t know what it is.
• What do I see? Use expanded nouns
• What colours are used? What are the shades of colour?
• What shapes are visible?
• Where is the scene?
• Are there any unknown objects?
STEP 2: ANALYSE
Explain how what you see is being used in the piece of art.
• How are lines used?
• How are shapes working? How do they fit together?
• How are textures effective?
• How does my eye move around the piece? Explain your eye’s journey around the painting?
STEP 3: INTERPRET
What is going on in the artwork?
• What do I see happening in the painting?
• How does this make me feel?
• What is the most important part of this piece?
• Why did the artist create this piece?
• What does the art ‘say’ to me?
STEP 4: DECIDE
Do you like this piece of art? Why or why not?
• What do I like about this piece?
• What did the artist do best?
• What do I dislike about this piece?
• What would I change if I were the artist?