Friday 5th March 2021
Good morning Year 6 and welcome to your final day of remote learning!
We are looking forward to seeing you all on Zoom at 9:05am.
Warm up challenge (15 minutes)
Reading (20 minutes)
Start by reading the next part of the text:
There was nothing else of interest in the skip; Salthook had been a practical sort of town, too busy gnawing at the old sea-bed to bother about digging up the past. But instead of going straight back to the warehouse Valentine led his companions up another staircase and along a narrow catwalk to the Incomers’ Station, where the former inhabitants were queuing to give their names to the Clerk of Admissions and be taken up to new homes in the hostels and workhouses of London. “Even when I’m not on duty,” he explained, “I always make a point of going down to see the scavengers when we make a catch, before they have a chance to see their finds at the Tier Five antique markets and melt back into the Out-Country.”
There were always some scavengers aboard a catch – townless wanderers who roamed the Hunting Ground on foot, scratching up pieces of Old-Tech. Salthook was no exception; at the end of a long queue of dejected townsfolk stood a group more ragged than the rest, with long, tattered coats that hung down to their ankles and goggles and dust-masks slung about their grubby necks.
Like most Londoners, Tom was horrified by the idea that people still actually lived on the bare earth. He hung back with Katherine and Dog, but Valentine went over to speak with the scavengers. They came clustering round him, all except one, a tall, thin one in a black coat – a girl, Tom thought, although he could not be sure because she wore a black scarf wrapped across her face like the turban of a desert nomad. He stood near her and watched while Valentine introduced himself to the other scavengers and asked, “So – have any of you found anything the Historians’ Guild might wish to purchase?”
Some of the men nodded, some shook their heads, some rummaged in their bulging packs. The girl in the black head-scarf slid one hand inside her coat and said, “I have something for you, Valentine.”
She spoke so softly that only Tom and Katherine heard her, and as they turned to look she suddenly sprang forward, whipping out a long, thin-bladed knife.
Now try and answer these questions:
1) What sort of town do you think Salthook was? Why?
2) What do you think scavengers are? Why?
3) Why do you think the scavengers are described as more ragged than the rest?
4) What do you think it means by people that lived on bare earth?
5) Why does Tom think it is bad to live on bare earth?
6) Predict who you think the girl might be and why she has an issue with Valentine.
Writing (40 minutes)
Think back to everything that we have read so far.
What key events can you think of?
Here are some of the key moments that have happened:
- London chased Salthook
- Tom was cleaning the Museum
- Tom snuck out of work to watch the chase
- Tom and Melliphant fight
- Pomeroy catches Tom and sends him to do Gut-work
- Tom goes down to the Gut and meets Valentine, Katherine and Dog
- Tom finds some antiques including a disc
- They go to speak to the scavengers from Salthook.
- A girl pulls out a knife on Valentine.
I think you will agree that it has been quite a dramatic start so far and anything is possible!
You task is to write what happens next. You can make it:
Happy – Valentine is saved
Sad – Valentine isn’t saved
Mixed – It is left on a cliffhanger
The choice is yours.
Things I will be looking for:
- Use of paragraphs
- Range of punctuation
- Powerful vocabulary
Finally, I would like your story to be at least 500 words long.
Maths (50 minutes)
Here are today’s Rapid Reasoning questions:
Today we are going to recap our knowledge on Roman Numerals.
What can you remember about Roman Numerals?
Can you remember what the following letters represent:
Go through this PowerPoint to see if you were correct and to remind yourself of the rules of Roman Numerals
Now see if you can use these knowledge to complete the crossword below:
Independent Reading (20 minutes)
Spend the next 20 minutes enjoying a book of your choice or catching up on episodes on The Explorer.
DT (1 hour)
This half term’s DT topic is all focused around slipper.
What do you know about slippers?
Why do we wear them?
What is their purpose?
Spend some time researching the different types of slippers that are available to buy. (Using online shopping websites will help with this).
Here are a selection of different slippers that you may have come across:
For each pair of slippers, I would like you to think about the following questions and annotate or label the slippers with your answers:
- What fabrics have been used?
- What about the sole (bottom of the slipper)?
- Do you think the slipper would be good for summer? Why?
- Do you think the slipper would be good for winter? Why?
Come and join us at 2:40pm for our final virtual assembly where we will be announcing who has won the ‘Set the Standard’ certificate.
We will also use this time to discuss coming back to school and answer any questions that you might have.
Meeting ID: 983 3533 6253
Well that is it!!! On Monday, we will see each other in real life and Mrs Maruzza and I can not wait!!
You have been fantastic the whole way through this and you should feel very proud of yourselves but now it is time to get back to the classroom.
See you on Monday!
Miss Kinsella and Mrs Maruzza.
26 thoughts on “Friday 5th March 2021”
1. I think that the people in Salthook can be a little grumpy because London ate them
2.I think that they find stuff to sell and make more money.
3.I think it is because they are more poor.
4. I think that means that they only had mud on the ground and that they didn’t have any grass or flowers on the ground.
5.Ithink that it might be bad to live on bare earth because you will get all muddy and if it rains it will be really bad
6. I think that the girl thinks that valentine had something to do with London eating Salthook
Great Sadia, well done!
1. The fist one looks like it is made of velvet and that it’s soul is made out of rubber it won’t be good for summer because it will make you more hot but it will be good for winter it will make your feet warm.
2.I looks like it is made of cotten but I don’t know about the soul it will be good for winter but maybe not for summer.
3.It is mad e out of fur and the bottom is made out of rubber it will be good for winter but not for summer.
4.I think that it is all made out of cotton and it will be good for winter.
Well done Sadia. Why do we use slippers and what is there purpose?
as the sun came up he was still running from the Spinosaurus which stop and everything went quiet …
Suddenly a massive BANG!!!!! AND HIS BRAIN WAS LIKE RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
it was a volcano ! then a massive herd of dinos were running straight towards him the best plan was to listen to his brain so he ran and ran until he got to a cliff most of the dinos jumped of clue lessly and drowned he saw a army of people charging at him because a trex was chasing them most of them got away and that also icludes me (to be continued…)
A fantastic story Dan!!
I = 1
V = 5
X = 10
L = 50
C = 100
D = 500
M = 1000
Great memory Zain! Well done!
📖 Reading 📖
1) I think that Salthook was a tiny town compared to London because in the video Salthook all ready lost a wheel.
2) I think scavengers are people who are are similar to archaeologists because they look for ancient things.
3) They are ragged maybe because that do not take there time or they are poor.
4) What they mean by bare earth is that people live on the floor.
5) He think it’s bad to live on bare earth because maybe people that are arrogant about there money kicks people who are begging on the floor
6) I am not quite sure but maybe Valentine is a spy from Salthook and all these years he has been lying to the Londoners and also because at the end of the video a man said prepare to ingest so they might have a backup plan or maybe valentine betrayed the people from Salthook and then joined London because it was bigger and had grown.
Great Tanisa, well done!
As the sun came up a woman named Betty woke up she didn’t know what was happining but she didn’t care as soon as she poot her foot off the bed a raptor bit her leg and pulled her under the bed having a feast on her flesh. But he husband Ronald Bursted down the door threw the bed out of the way and pulled out a shot gun and pointed it at the raptor but he was a bit to late the raptor already ripped her legs off. Then Ronald shot the shot gun but the raptor moved out of the way in time but the bullet shot his wife Betty in the hips the raptor pounced on ronald clawing his face open wide and eating the insides of his face Betty couldn’t do anything because there was a group of raptors surrounding her and she still hears Ronalds screams like Alan grant said “They’ll eat you while your awake.” Until her brother Albert broke in and shot the raptors with a minigun the Alpha raptor striked his back until a raptor named Blue broken in aswell and fought the raptor she clawed out the raptors eye so it was called One eye it ran away and betty was able to get the gun and tried to shoot Blue and Blue was a nice raptor and trie to call for help to save Albert but Betty didn’t care about Blue and FIRED Blue was alerted and got mad and ended up ripped out her throat and rip the jaw off her head.Mean while on a random bridge was a man named Rick he wasn’t happy with his life and thought to die but the mosasaur had other plans and it wasn’t eating the man it was fighting the Tylosaur but it was dead in The ocean because of starvation but Dr. Henry wu was still alive to create a new tylosaur for good and not for the bad.So the mosasaur payed her attention to the old man and tried to eat him but the spinosaur had ripped his legs of leaving his upper half in the water and he was loosing blood and drowning but the mosaurus quickly sawm over and gulped him up and he died from the second row of teeth.Blue was battling One eye and One eye was about to end her until Rexy (name of the T-rex in Jurassic world) bashed One eye into the water but the mosasaur jumped out to catch him and eat him. Life finds away.
A fantastic story Zain!! Well done!!
The day before the massive disaster, Rosie and Jack were going to the park as the sun was coming up they arrived. Life was fine until something tragic happened they dissapeard but they didn’t they had been stollen there parents were worried sick they rang the police but no case was started because the had only been missing for 2 hours. The day of the massive disaster, Rosie and Jack were found dead in the Bush of there garden the mother got arrested because it was her house but the same thing happened to her as what happened to her kids but this time she saw the serial killers face and took a picture unfortunately she died but they checked the phone and but the serial killer in prison for life but…….
A fantastic story Evie!! Well done!
1. I think its a small town
3. craizeist than the rest
4. flat , plain , dry and full of rocks
5. because its dry
6. donk know
Some good answers Alex. Who do you think she is?
1. They have cotton maybe plastic and rubber
2. I think it might be rubber at the sole
3. i think it would be good in winter because when its cold you want to wear something warm .
4. but when you wear it in summer it can get sweaty and hot but its nice to walk on them in the mornings when you wake up i guess.
Well done Dan. Which slipper is this for?
the last one.
Well remembered! Well done Alex!
1. some are cotton or fur and some are rubber
2. I think its rubber at the sole
3. I think its good for summer because its hot and u have shoes that wont make u sweat
4. its good for winter because when u at home instead of wearing socks or bare feat your sliders will not make u cold
Well done Alex. Which slipper are these answers for?
111522 , 1159107 , 11456 , 2105 , 618 , 65
86 , 901 , 2052 , 1300 , 1966 , 1348
1062 , 2045 , 1164 , 1986 , 105 , 1680
1665 , 800 , 1999 , 1165 , 2001 , 2138
Excellent work Dan!