Monday 20th April 2020 – Reading Comprehension Task
Good morning Year 4. We hope you had a great Easter and ate plenty of chocolate eggs. Here is today’s reading task. Make sure you read the text carefully and use the text to help answer questions. Make sure you write in full sentences, where necessary. Look forward to reading your work later on today.
Vikings loved to tell stories and recite poems. Lots of their stories are about the Norse gods. Here is one called “Loki’s children”:
The Norse God of mischief Loki and the Giantess Angroboda had three monstrous children. The eldest was the wolf Fenrir; the second was Jormungand, greatest of serpents; and the third was a daughter called Hel. Hel’s looks were quite likely to single her out. Although most of her body was normal, from her hips down, every inch of Hel’s skin looked decayed and greenish-black. Her expression was always the same: gloomy, lazy and selfish.
“Expect nothing from them but the worst,” one of the gods said. “Expect them to harm you and endanger you.” And so the gods agreed that Loki’s children must be captured. So a group of gods crossed by night into Jotunheim, the world of the giants. They burst into Angroboda’s hall, gagging and binding her and they then kidnapped her children and carried them back to Asgard, the home of the gods.
The god Odin was in no doubt as to what should be done with the serpent. He picked up Jormungand and hurled him into the ocean surrounding Midgard, the world of men. Jormungand hurtled through the air smashing through the iron face of the water. There he lived and there he grew.
Odin was just as sure what to do about the serpent’s sister. He took one look at Hel and hurled her out of Asgard down into the mist and darkness of Niflheim, the world beneath the worlds. As she fell she heard Odin’s order that she should look after the dead, all those in the nine worlds who died of illness or old age.
Fenrir was dealt with as well, but that’s another story . . .
Here are the questions for the text:
1. Give the name of Loki’s three children.
2. Where were the children taken to when they were captured.
3. Read the sentence about Jormungand being thrown into the water. Is he travelling quickly or slowly? How do you know?
4. Describe Hel’s looks and personality in your own words.
5. Why do you think Odin punished Hel by making her look after people?
6. How do you think Loki and Angroboda felt when their children were taken away?
7. What do you think might happen to Fenrir?
The Year 4 Team
12 thoughts on “Monday 20th April 2020 – Reading Comprehension Task”
1) The three children were called Fenrir, Jormungand and Heli.
2) They were took to Asgard.
3) Jormungand was traveling quickly as hurling means “an action of throwing with great force and strength.”
4) From her hip downwards she had green “ogre like” skin and expect her to make mischief.
5) I think it was that she was never good at being kind so that would be a “annoying” punishment.
6) If I would be a parent I would be reliefed to lose mischief makers but I believe that she loved them, so she wouldn’t like it
7) I have no clue?
1. Fenrir, Jormungand and hel
2. they brang them to asgard
3. he got thrown into to the ocean and was surrounding Midgard, and I know that because its in the text
4. she maybe looks like a flower because she takes anything in her way so she is a good cleaner and she maybe looks like a girl dog or cat but better, I think her personality is being polite and kind because she is truthful
5. I think he punished hel because she is as sweet as a flower maybe
6. I think they felt like there heart will break from how much love they got from there children
7. I think that he will be torchered because he has barley been touched in this story maybe he will get torchered
Thank you Kristers – remember punctuation
1. Loki’s three children were: wolf Fenrir, Jormungand the greatest of the serpents, daughter Hel.
2. They kidnapped them to Asgard, the home of the gods.
3. I believe he was travelling very quickly as it says in the text ‘Jormungand hurtled through the air’.
4. She was looking spooky and terrifying, like a half zombie.
5. That’s because she was gloomy, lazy and selfish.
6. If I were them, I would feel terrified and upset.
7. I think Fenrir was killed by Odin.
1. all of Loki’s children are hel, Jormungand and the wolf Fenrir.
2. the children were captured to Jotunheim.
3. Jormungand moved very quickly because it said hurtled through the air.
4. Hel’s looks are very moody anoying and not kind.
5. I think Odin punished Hel because she was very lazy but now she has bee forsed to work and look after the dead.
6. I think Loki and Angroboda felt a bit happy because hel was gone and she was no help to them but for thee other to not happy as they were doing there work but the thired child didn’t.
7. Fenrir probably got something less harder as he was the oldest out of all of them and he posibly helped a lot.
1) The name of Loki’s three children are Fenrir, Jormungand and Hel.
2) They have been taken to Asgard.
3) Jormungand was moving very quickly because he hurtled through the air which means, moving at high speed.
4) Hel’s look was green as a poisoned creature which shows a venomous type of creature.
5) Because Odin knew that Hel’s was lazy and selfish.
6) Loki and Angroboda felt frightened as they were taken away.
7) Not sure as there was nothing mentioned clear for him.
Fantastic understanding and thank you for writing your responses in full sentences.
1. The name of Lokis three children are the wolf Fenrir jormungand and a daughter named Hell.
2. The children were tacken to Asgard when they were Kidnaped.
3. Jormungand is travelling quickly because it says in the text Jormungand hurtalled through the air smashing through the iron face of the water.
4. Every bit of Hel’s skin was moldy horrendous discusting and it was hard to look at her.
5. I think odin punished Hell by making her baby siting children because Hell didn’t do what odin sead.
6. I think loki and Angroboda felt Ancsious scared and nerves when there children were kidnaped.
7. I think Ferir got tacken to court.
Thank you Maisie! Remember capital letters for names.
1. Loki’s three children were called Wolf Fenrir, Jormand and Hel. 2.They took them to Asgard. 3.Jormand moved quickly because he hurtled through the air. 4.She is disgusting , lazy and selfish. 5.Odin did this because she was lazy and selfish. 6.I think that they felt scared and worried, maybe frightened. 7.He will get punished or killed.
1. The childrens names were Fenrir,Jormungand and hel.
2. They were taken to asgard.
3. He was traveling at top speed as he broke through the iron water.
4. Hel’s skin is dark green moldy.
5. I think hel got punished because she didn’t like baby sitting?
6. I think they were petrified when their children had been kidnapped.
7. I think Fenir was becoming a slave to odin.
1. The three names of Loki’s children are Fenrir, Jormungand and Hel.
2. The children were taken to Asgard.
3. Jormungard was travelling quickly because he hurtles through the air and smashed trough the iron face of the water.
4. I think Hel is the odd one out and she is mean.
5. I think Hel was punished because she is gloomy, lazy and selfish.
6. I think Loki and Angroboda felt devastated when their children were taken away.
7. I think Fenrir will be dealt with again.