Hello to all our lovely Year 3 children, We are extremely proud of you and thrilled with your home learning.
Oh, another letter in Mrs. Denny’s garden this time, doesn’t look like a prank or trick. What do the clues tell us? I wonder if it is from Puck? Take a look at the front of the envelope. Could it be another fairy?
Let’s see what the letter says.
My dearest Queen,
Things have not been right for some time. I struggle to trust you when I feel that you have feelings for Theseus, the Duke and we have been arguing so much lately.
I am sorry for our argument but you refused me a fairy child to be my bodyguard. I was full of wrath. You pay more attention to that child than me. You crown him with flowers and make him all your joy. As revenge for refusing me my one wish, I decided to play a trick on you. I asked my servant, Puck, to find a magic flower. When the juice of it is squeezed into someone’s eyes as they sleep when they awake they fall in love with the first living thing they see. I placed the juice in your eyes when you were sleeping like an angel in a flowery bed and when you woke you fell in love with a man like creature by the name of Bottom, with a donkey’s head.
Later on, I was still angry. I am invisible and overheard a conference between two lovers and used the juice of the flower on him, but that is another story.
I need to undo the magic and make peace with you, but I am not sure how, I do begin to pity what I have done and wonder will you ever forgive me.
Duke- man of royalty
wrath- very angry
revenge- pay back
conference – conversation
pity – regret
Now answer these questions:
- Find and copy one word which means ‘cannot be seen’.
- Which word is similar to believing in someone?
- Find a word which suggests that Oberon wishes he had not taken revenge on his Queen. (Look in the line I need to undo…)
- What does ‘you pay more attention to that child than me,’ suggest how Oberon is feeling?
- Which word has a similar meaning to refusing. Choose one of these words: letting, stopping, throwing
Use a piece of paper either draw what you think Oberon would look like or place his name in the middle of the page.
- Around the outside of Oberon write how he is feeling right now. I think he might be feeling a bit more than sad – you could draw hearts and write inside.
- Write down three wishes he has for the future/ how to make things better – you could draw stars and write wishes inside.
- Write down four things he is thinking (inside thought bubbles) see below:
- One thought needs to be a question – e.g. What am I doing?
- Second thought needs to be a statement: He is telling something that we know is true about the story/ use the letter
- Third thought needs to be a command/ order – What order would he want to give to Titania?
- Fourth thought needs to be an exclamation sentence: needs to start with how or what – What a beautiful day it is!
This is a plan that will help tomorrow with some writing you will be doing.
Recap: Make equal groups – grouping
Our value this week is being ‘courageous.’ There will be times when you have been afraid of something new, trying new food or facing a fear. Can you list 5 things that make you afraid? Now could you think how you faced your fear and how you were courageous? What did you do to be brave?
You can use the sheet below or be really creative and make your own jar of courage. It is like a recipe what did you add into the jar to make yourself courageous. Try and think of 5 ingredients/ things that you add to make your courageous recipe.
You can send pictures of your jars and recipes to the Year 3 email – we would love to see them. Remember we are looking to give certificates to children who we have seen be courageous this week.
Science: These were the answers to last weeks task.
Marble in often used in statues, fireplaces or floors.
Slate can be made into tiles for roofs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z9bbkqt/articles/zsgkdmn Watch the video and use the slides in the power point to write about the 3 different types of rocks, yes you can draw pictures to help you explain.
Enjoy: Miss Brian’s story time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmSDgejeql8